In a word, this weekend was “delectable.” =D I started it off planning to make a dress with some of my silk, similar to the one in the picture (I LOVE those sleeves). But that didn’t pan out, because I got caught up in other stuff a.k.a. “cooking.” ;) So by now, I’ve made butternut squash soup, which is delectable; homemade chicken pot pie, a delectability; and sour cream blackberry pie, a very delectable dessert. So in a word, I had a “delectable” weekend. Here’s the butternut squash soup recipe; every time I eat it I think “I seriously think this is the best possible dinner.” But of course, that’s also what I think every time I eat chicken pot pie=D Butternut Squash Soup:
Bake a large butternut squash. Separately, saute some onions and garlic, then, when they are almost done sauteing, throw in whatever you have on hand: sandwich meat (pastrami’s my fave), cilantro, or whatever you think would be good in it. Put the squash and a 32-ish oz. of chicken broth and the sauteed stuff into a pot to boil. When the squash is completely soft, use a hand blender to puree the soup to a pretty smooth consistency. Yumyum.
Make the basic flaky pie crust that’s in my “Links” menu and put it in the fridge. Finely, chop three potatoes and three carrots (really it doesn’t matter how many, just how ever many you want) and just cover with water and boil them till they’re almost soft. Throw in a can of green beans and a can of corn. Then add a diced, roasted chicken, plus the secret ingredient—————- 1 tablespoon of chicken fat! Separately, mix 4 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons dry milk, a teaspoon garlic salt, pepper to taste, 1/2 cup water, and some parsley, then throw it into your pot of veggies/chicken. Stir it and let that simmer until it thickens. Put all that into a pan and put the pie crust on top (yes, of course roll it out first =) and stick it in the oven, which you should have preheated to 400 F. Bake it for about 40 minutes.
Blackberry Sour Cream Pie:
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 1 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and lemon colored. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt together. Stir into egg mixture. Gently fold in blackberries. Put into unbaked pie crust
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center begins to set. Sprinkle with topping and return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.
- To make the topping: In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour. Cut in butter until crumbly.