I refreshed myself with these silky delicacies after a day of weeding and raking in the hot outdoors. These were some of my favorites; they topped most others with their smooth cake and tart frosting. Yum!
Double Lemon Cupcakes
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 30 cupcake pan cups with paper liners.
- Sift the self-rising flour and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the unsalted butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating each egg until incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Gently beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Beat until just combined; do not over mix.
- Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter 3/4 full, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a rack.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind , grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar , sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 dash salt
Add lemon rind to butter; cream well.
Add part of sugar gradually, blending after each addition.
Combine lemon juice and water; add to creamed mixture, alternately with remaining sugar, until of right consistency to spread.
Beat after each addition until smooth.