For this refashion, I started with a pleated-all-over 70’s dress.
As you can see, it has some long, flowing sleeves (hmmm, that seems to be a common characteristic among many of my refashions), an ultra high neck, and a bit of an awkward length. Oh, and I got it at an estate sale for 50 cents! Somehow that always makes the final product even better. Anyways, I bought it so that I could remake it into a winter church dress; I know, it has short sleeves, but you couldn’t have paid me to leave those sleeves on! I think it will actually work great for winter, as long as I wear a jacket or cardigan with it. So, it’s makeover consisted of chopping part of the sleeves off, hemming the dress to a slightly shorter length, and (the hard part) lowering the neckline a little bit. To succeed at this neckline business, I ended out having to hand sew my bias tape onto the dress. The whole process took all afternoon, but now I have a perfect dress to wear this winter! P.S. How about those pleats?!?!
Remember that vintage suitcase that my mom got at an estate sale for seven dollars? It got a makeover. I finally made the decision to cover it in lace (which happens to come from some thrifted, 50 cent, lace curtains). It’s a mix of the ideas from this post at A Beautiful Mess and this post I found on Pinterest. Just be sure to use the same amount of glue over the whole thing, or else you might have a slightly darker stripe, which sadly mine has. I had so much fun dressing up (I made the top!) for these pictures! I love the vintage travel theme.
Last summer, I found a hilarious vintage shirt at a garage sale for 50 cents or so. It had a bow-collar and flowing, long sleeves. It also had this mesmerizing print that I could not resist: pacman print. Now, I don’t know if it was meant to look like pacman or not, but there’s nothing else it could possibly be. A lot of tears came with the making of this dress. I didn’t have enough fabric to perform my original plan, so I had to scrap for the bottom ruffle. It seems like many things went wrong with it, but I can’t remember them now… thank goodness! I really wish I had the “before” picture of this refash, because it went through quite a transformation. I do have a confession— I think I’ve worn it once since last summer. Any suggestions on how to wear it? It’s really short, for want of more fabric, so I for sure have to wear either leggings or jeans with it.
Before I knew how to post pictures on my blog (wow), I made a post about “Adorable pleated shorts!” And I gave the full run-down on how to make them. Not one of my award-winning posts. Today I present you with a photo of them. Hopefully, it rectifies the former post. Considering the shorts are made from a granny skirt and are turquoise, these are one of my favorite creations yet. They were actually the first pattern I ever drafted!
Look at that beautiful half french seam!
Today, I refashioned a garage sale find that I am very proud of. The lady running the sale told us it used to be her old lady friend’s dress. The instant I saw it, I knew I would wear it if only it fit. By the way, I think it was a size 18 in the beginning. I got it for 50 cents.
Basically, I took in the sides about 5 inches each, rolled up the sleeves, and slapped on a belt, to come out with this cute and casual little shirt-dress. It reminds of something from the sixties (or maybe fifties, I’m not quite sure). It will be great to wear any hot, summer day, when I want to be prettily comfy.
I have been drooling over starting this project for at least a month. I have finally begun my Easter dress! A while back, I posted a picture of my inspiration, and I’m still sticking to it.
Sometime soon, I am hoping to go garage-sailing (No, I don’t have a sail-boat in my garage)… garage-saleing?… garage-saling?… garage-selling? (I’m not planning on selling my garage either) Anyways, I hope to find a soft, light green sheet to use as material. Today, I drafted the bodice pattern, which, with a couple hours of total concentration, worked splendidly. This is my first official dart, so study it thoroughly ;)
Bodice pattern and buttons!
Necessary items for pattern-making: polka-dot muslin (practice run), instruction book, measuring tape, ruler, calculator, & plate (for drafting curves such as neck-hole and arm-hole)
Recently, I’ve been needing a pair of jeans to tuck into boots. I don’t like “skinny jeans,” but that’s what these are. I just took a pair of $1 jeans from garage sale and tried them on inside out. I pinned them down the leg,making sure they were tight enough to stuff into boots but loose enough to take off. Then I zipped along this line with my machine (not without trouble: my needle kept hitting the metal part over and over). These jeans weren’t even the slightly stretchy kind. Now, I have basically a brand new pair of jeans that took only an hour!